Wednesday 30 October 2013

The Big Surprises of 2013

Ok, so i haven't blogged for quite a while, but I promise I have a good reason.  The reason is that I was pregnant last year and my wonderful baby boy, Jude, was born on the 25th February this year.  As a result of this wonderful blessing, I have had limited time to do anything green fingered.


That having been said, I did throw a few potatoes in a couple of pots and the vegetable patch and hoped for the best.  It would be prudent to point out that I did very little in the way of nurturing these
little gems. I adopted an attitude of 'let's see what Mother Nature can do here' and handed the exercise
 over to her while quipping in a typically Irish fashion, "Good luck to ye".  Well, let it be known that
Mother Nature did not disappoint, for despite my neglect and complete lack of earthing up and fertilising, I yielded not one, not two but three good crops from these bad boys.  I tell you all this, so that even the idlest of you out there may realise that growing potatoes requires little or no effort and is likely to yield excellent results. I'm hoping to inspire!  That was surprise number 1 of 2013.



Surprise number 2 was provided by my raspberry bushes, which I planted in a pot last year from a cutting. I did prune them back at the end of last season as is meant to be done, but having had not one raspberry in 2012, I was not expecting to get 3 brilliant crops in 2013. Apart from a vastly improved season this year, the only thing I can think of to which this success can be attributed is the fact that I fed the plants with tomato feed on a few occasions throughout thus season.  So, for those of you who are struggling with these bushes not bearing fruit, I recommend giving some tomato feed a try.



So, there you have it, nothing very exciting, but just a little something for you to ponder whilst you wait for the 2014 growing season.   







No comments:

Post a Comment